Tuesday, December 16, 2008

MERRY CHISTMAS (Break)!!!



Hurray!! It's finally Christmas break! There comes a time when a person's mind and body can do no more. This semester I have gone to classes on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday (in Pocatello which is about a 45 minute drive); to clinicals in the radiology department at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center (EIRMC) on Tuesdays & Thursdays; to work at EIRMC's emergency department as a registrar 3 or 4 times a week; and I have 3 little girls who are very active in dance 3 days a week. Needless to say, my brain and my body need Christmas vacation!

Life may have been very busy this semester, but it has truly been worth it. I wish that I could share just a fraction of the amazing and wonderful things I have learned. The world of Radiology is a fascinating place to live. The advances in technology just in the past 5 years are crazy! Some facilities have what's called Direct Digital Radiography (DR) where you shoot an x-ray and the image appears instantaneously on a screen. There's no film or film-type medium to develop. Voila--and the x-ray is ready to be read by a radiologist. I know...I know. I'm sounding a little nerdy now, but come on. I mean, I get to take pictures of the INSIDE of people--how cool is that?!
I may not even know a tenth of the things I will learn in my career, but I can take an x-ray of any one's chest, abdomen, fingers, hand, wrist, forearm, elbow, humerus (upper arm), shoulder, clavicle (collarbone), or scapula (shoulder blade). And I am learning to assist on various barium studies and other fluoroscopy procedures.
This is the very first x-ray I took. It wasn't a real person's hand, it was of a phantom hand, but it was a great experience. I've taken x-rays of quite a few real people now, so the phantom isn't quite as fun anymore. Next semester, I will get to do a rotation in surgery, so hopefully I'll have some very cool things to share.





I hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas and a wonderful New Year! And for all of you who get to have a true "Christmas Break,"--ENJOY!



















9 comments:

Dan and Melissa said...

Wow! You are very busy! Sounds like you are in a great career, good luck continuing with that. Merry Christmas,and enjoy the break!

Susan said...

Sounds like you are having fun as well as keeping ridiculously busy. You definetely deserve a holiday break. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Jennie said...

Thanks so much! Hope you have a Merry Christmas, too!

Unknown said...

Have you gotten to do any Videofluroscopic swallow studies or Cookie Swallows? I get to do these every once in awhile as a speech pathologist and it's amazing to see everything working on camera. Hope you have a great break. I remember the hectic schedule of school, but I didn't have three kids to take care of, so you have me beat. Emily

Jennie said...

Yes, I have gotten to observe a few barium swallows with speech. They use a bunch of different kinds of foods--and it is totally amazing to watch in real-time! If I would have had my head on straight before I had children, my life wouldn't be so hectic. :)

Kate said...

Cute, cute, CUTE!!! I love the pictures of the girls!! And look at you in your fun purple scrubs... what a hottie!! I'm glad to hear you are getting a little break to rest a bit!!

Craig said...

Don't worry, it is ALWAYS ok to be nerdy...:)

Arredondo Family said...

Hey Jennie...LeAnne gave me you blog address...fun to catch up on you and your cute family. Sounds like you are all happy, healthy and busy...that's great!! Hope you enjoyed a wonderful holiday season. Check us out at gkarredondo.blogspot.com

Katie (Garner) Arredondo

Jennie said...

Katie!! What a cute kids you have! I'm so happy to "see" you and your cute family. How is Texas? My husband has always wanted to live there. We'll have to keep in touch.
--Jen